• Keep us independent and open to all
  • 50% of proceeds go to NTS Residents
  • Live tracklists and new features
  • 20% off NTS merch

FROM$3.99/month

BECOME AN NTS SUPPORTER

making a case, with call to action

YOUR SUPPORT MATTERS

NTS is a global family of music lovers. We strive to broadcast diverse and unique music that excites, inspires and moves you. NTS is where eclecticism is celebrated and niche music takes centre stage. It’s where passionate people, not algorithms, play exceptional music that is hard to find anywhere else. All without on-air advertising.

However, we need a more sustainable model to keep doing what we’re doing, and cover the high costs of music licensing, our streaming infrastructure and radio production. We believe the best way to achieve this is through listener support - we’d rather do this with you than anyone else.

We’re asking listeners to support NTS from as little as £2.99 a month. 50% of all Supporter proceeds will go directly to the resident hosts who make NTS what it is. The remaining 50% will ensure long term sustainability, so we can carry on broadcasting diverse and discerning radio.

SUPPORT NTS

faq, with call to action

FAQs

What do I get when I become a supporter?

All NTS Supporters get access to live tracklisting* on channels 1 and 2, the NTS supporter newsletter and a 20% discount for the NTS store. NTS Supporters is mostly about helping us continue to give a platform to great musicians and DJs, and to build an even better NTS experience. As we develop new features for the NTS site and app, these will be rolled out to NTS Supporters first, with some features remaining exclusive to subscribers.

*Please bear in mind NTS DJs select tracks independently, so we don’t know what they will play in advance. Therefore, tracks that are rare or yet to be released may not show up on live tracklisting.

Where does the money go?

After tax and payment handling fees (which range from 4 - 15% depending on how Supporters choose to pay), half of your contribution will go to the NTS Residents who make NTS what it is. The other half goes to global music licensing fees*, streaming infrastructure, studio equipment maintenance, building new tech features and the costs of creating thousands of hours of great radio. Money raised through NTS Supporters will sit alongside existing income we generate through merchandise sales, live events, investment from private individuals and the Arts Council as well as selective brand partnerships. We intend to continue to generate income through all of these means, however we intend for NTS Supporters to eventually represent the main source of income for NTS.

*We are registered with and pay royalty fees to collection agencies including BMI, Soundexchange, ASCAP, SESAC, PRS, PPL, GEMA, SGAE, KODA, SABAM, BUMA/STEMRA, APRA/AMCOS. We are also actively pursuing licensing agreements in all other necessary territories. We are proud of our commitment to being globally licensed for our online radio. These international agreements make sure the songwriters, producers and recording artists are paid accordingly in each country where listeners are tuning in to NTS.

Who owns NTS?

The NTS founder, Femi Adeyemi, along with his close friend and business partner Sean McAuliffe. The rest of NTS is owned by all NTS employees, a handful of music loving individuals, and the long term NTS Residents.

Can I become a supporter if I don’t live in the UK?

Absolutely. We have supporters all over the world and you can pay in a number of different currencies.

What’s the difference between NTS Friends and NTS Supporters?

NTS Friends was launched in 2019; we opened it up for 1000 founder friends. In many ways NTS Friends paved the way for NTS Supporters. NTS Friends get an annual gift in the post. NTS Supporters is a bit more flexible, you can support from £2.99 monthly. Both are essential in helping build an even better NTS.

Can I cancel?

Yes. If you don’t want to continue being an NTS Supporter, you can cancel at any time by going to the subscription section of your My NTS account.

If you signed up to be an NTS Supporter in the App Store, then you will need to head to your App Store account, then go to the Subscriptions section and manage your subscription from there.

Can I choose between monthly and annual payments?

Yes, you have the option of choosing between monthly and annual billing at the point of payment.

If I choose to be billed annually, does NTS Supporters automatically renew?

Yes. If you want to cancel, you can do this anytime in your My NTS account.

Can I contribute more?

Yes, thank you. You have the option of contributing more than the minimum per month at the payment stage. If you’d like to make an even greater contribution, please email support@ntslive.co.uk to discuss how you can support NTS further.

If I give more than the minimum payment, will half of that go to NTS Residents?

Yes. Whatever you contribute, after VAT and payment handling fees, 50% will go directly to NTS residents.

Money is tight right now, is there another way I can support?

Keep listening, keep telling your friends about us. We’re happy you’re here. No pressure to contribute now or any time if it’s not right for you.

I have an issue that isn’t answered in this FAQ. Can you help?

Sure, you can email us at support@ntslive.co.uk for anything to do with your account or creating an account.

BUILT BY MUSIC LOVERS, FOR MUSIC LOVERS

BECOME AN NTS SUPPORTER

1 Like

Feels like this one is a bit throwaway.

As an individual developer I wonder what the perception is?

I always think of trying to scale it down to minimums — eg 1000 paying users at $5 per month. That’s quite a high amount especially globally, so maybe half that? 500 paying users?

As well as outreach and language to users @rosano — how are you thinking of the dollars and cents?

i don’t think i understand the question, could you rephrase?

high for one person maybe but i imagine they have a team. plus they give 50% to resident artists.

if you’re referring to their *.99 prices, i have no problem with it although it’s not my style. i think the more ‘broadly’ you want to speak, the more it becomes necessary to explore that kind of thing. i imagine most people who listen to their stations are not tech or business oriented, so they might not take an issue with it.

My comment here was attempting to reverse engineer this for an individual developer like yourself.

The mention of building tech seems to hide the fact that the people time for building tech and maintaining tech is expensive.

hmm i imagine they hire programmers outside of the organization, maybe for them its considered an expense.

i like keep “Support us so we can keep creating forward-thinking radio” and “Keep us independent and open to all”