Coworking in Nanaimo + Input Cowork Nanaimo Tech Meetup

We're going to be spending Wednesday, July 17th over in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island, and are hosting a tech meetup in the evening.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://blog.fission.codes/coworking-in-nanaimo-input-cowork-nanaimo-tech-meetup/

Looks like Kris is interested in coming along

I was thinking of taking a seaplane over in the morning, and then walking on to the Nanaimo ferry for the return in the evening. Since the meetup ends around 7:30pm, we can hustle to the 8:30pm ferry, or take the late 10:40pm ferry.

Morning flight schedule has 8:30, 9:15, and 10:45. I’m thinking 9:15.

Woot! We just had Carson Farmer from Textile confirm that he’s coming and will present:

From before you even wake up in the morning, your day is being encoded into digital data. What started as simply our IP address, nic, or maybe email address has now grown to include our dating profiles, medical histories, mundane conversations, personality traits not even we are aware of, and much more. While our trails of digital data have become more detailed, the technologies that leverage that data have become more opaque and less in our control.

Decentralization, content addressable data, and technologies like IPFS give us a new framework to think about how data should be stored, controlled, and used in technology. To help get us there, Textile provides encrypted, recoverable, schema-based, and cross-application data storage built on IPFS and libp2p. We like to think of it as a decentralized data wallet with built-in protocols for sharing and recovery, or more simply, an open and programmable iCloud. In this talk, Carson will present how Textile can be used to build technologies that give users long-term control of their personal data while still enabling amazing and useful technology to be built around it.

I am in!

Registered for the meetup. Don’t mind leaving at 8:30, but I’m down for 9:15.

I’ve never taken the seaplane over :smiley:

1 Like

Sweet! Yeah, I figured the seaplane part would be a good adventure!

Let us know when the departure time is confirmed so we can all purchase our seaplane tickets.

1 Like

I booked us on the 9:15am Harbour Air. Earlier or later is fine, we have space at Input CoWork for the day, and it’s a 10minute walk to the space from the seaplane dock.

Hmm. Maybe a stop at Gabriels Cafe http://www.gabrielscafe.ca/ for breakfast along the way…