Developer tools can be magic. Instead, they collect dust - James Koppel

The Lessons Learned section:

Programming tools are not a domain where advances are “an idea whose time has come.” That happens when there are many people working on similar ideas; if one person doesn’t get their idea adopted, then someone else will a few years later. In programming tools, this kind of competition is rare. To illustrate: A famous professor went on sabbatical to start a company building a tool for making websites. I asked him why, if his idea was going to beat all the previous such tools, it hadn’t been done before. His answer was something like “because it requires technology that only I can build.”

2nd lesson, paraphrased – large fixed cost of building tools, and:

This is why my Ph. D. has been devoted to making tools easier to build. It is also why I am in part disheartened by the proliferation of free but not-so-advanced tools: it lobs off the bottom of the market and makes these fixed-costs harder to pay off.

But the third lesson is that we as developers can demand so much more from our tools. If you’ve ever thought about building a developer tool, you have so much impressive work to draw from. And if you’re craving better tools, this is what you have to look forward to.

Remind’s me of @expede’s presentation from a year ago:

James’ other recent blog post looks good too: