Feedback on Diffuse Alpha

Diffuse is a decentralized music player. These are some notes / feedback on the Alpha version https://alpha.diffuse.sh. We also did an interview with Steven about Diffuse @icidasset

@boris did this test on his Mac desktop using the web-based version in Chrome. These are some notes and feedback about the process and user flow of selecting IPFS.

After clicking “Sign In”, you can get a message asking “Where would you like to
store your encrypted data?” – with “favourites, settings, etc” in smaller grey text. There is a list of choices. IPFS is hidden underneath the ellipse alongside Textile.

Note: it could be more clear what I’m being asked here. I think “Where would you like to store your settings?”. I had no clue what encrypted data meant, I actually thought this was a music step. Maybe a “?” icon here telling me more about what sort of settings.

Selecting IPFS then asks “Where’s your IPFS API located?”. localhost:5001 is pre-filled.

Note: I happen to have the IPFS Mac OS X desktop app. I started it up. It didn’t work, even though it was running.

I did some googling around to figure out what was going on – and I’m fairly familiar with IPFS. Eventually I figured out that I had to allow Diffuse to access the local API, under settings.

Under Access-Control-Allow-Origin I added https://alpha.diffuse.sh and then it worked. I may have restarted it.

Note: if you click on “More info” at the very bottom of the screen, it goes to the Diffuse about page – which does have an entry about adding this item.

Next message is “I need a passphrase to encrypt your data.”.

There was a long string pre-filled in greyed out text.

I typed something in – I think I’ve forgotten what it is now! – and it told me that it wasn’t long enough? Maybe it said 16 characters? or words? I typed some more.

I thought this part was interesting. It was here that I made the connection that my settings data was on IPFS. It says “data for this application” – maybe “settings data” – or be clear and say that it’s favourites and preferences and whatever else is stored.

I skipped a couple steps here. This was me adding some music via an IPFS directory hash.

I happen to have a directory filled with audio files that I used for testing Diffuse previously.

I didn’t know what the checkboxes did so I left them unchecked.

Note: for both settings and for this addition of music, being able to add a DNS link, like mymusic.bmann.ca or bmann.fission.tools/mymusic would obviously be something that I could actually remember. I think the IPFS ecosystem as a whole has to figure this out.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the feedback @boris, really appreciate it! :blush:

Note: it could be more clear what I’m being asked here. I think “Where would you like to store your settings?”. I had no clue what encrypted data meant, I actually thought this was a music step. Maybe a “?” icon here telling me more about what sort of settings.

My intention here was to note the user that their data was going to be encrypted. But I guess people will get the idea once they see the “passphrase screen”? Which is, by the way, only shown for services that don’t provide encryption by default.

How about… “Where would you like to store your personal data?” where “personal data” links to the about page where it is explained properly. And then instead of “settings”, maybe “playlists” to give a better indication that we’re talking about your data which is NOT your music. So difficult to find the right words :smile:

It didn’t work, even though it was running.

Oh totally forgot about the CORS thing for the user layer. Thank you! Will add more info for sure :ok_hand:

I think I’ve forgotten what it is now!

No password manager? :sweat_smile:

I’m not sure what to do with this screen. Passphrase might be a too-developer-focused word, would “password” be better? :thinking: What don’t you like about this screen?

It says “data for this application” – maybe “settings data” – or be clear and say that it’s favourites and preferences and whatever else is stored.

:+1:

Note: for both settings and for this addition of music, being able to add a DNS link, like mymusic.bmann.ca or bmann.fission.tools/mymusic would obviously be something that I could actually remember. I think the IPFS ecosystem as a whole has to figure this out.

Totally. Super excited for the Fission Web API!
Thanks again for this, super useful! :relaxed:

EDIT: Updated https://alpha.diffuse.sh/

1 Like