Fission Saver for TiddlyWiki

Description

TiddlyWiki is a fascinating note taking / wiki project with a long history. Content is composed of “tiddlers”, and tiddlers, tags, and custom fields can be added, as well as many plugins. It started off as a single page HTML / JS file that would save back to itself.

Recently, it has a number of different “Savers”, including Git savers

The kind of “Roam clones” are TiddlyBlink / Stroll or Drift.

References / Research

Jim Pick implemented a multi-user TiddlyWiki on top of DAT

User Impact

Who would want to use this and why?

Note taking is seeing a lot of attention recently, with both Notion and Roam Research bringing a lot of attention.

For those looking for similar systems, that however have the data under their control, TiddlyWiki on top of Fission would be an option.

Features

Should initially start as a single user “Fission Saver”. This can work very similarly to the existing “Git Savers” – see pesho’s tutorial, and the general Git saving service description on TW – which has setups for Gitea and Gitlab as well.

Currently the info is stored in user storage for the personal access token to connect to these systems. Fission’s key based system can communicate directly to the backend to sign requests.

Rather than single file, storing tiddlers as individual files would be more scalable, relying on Fission’s user / encryption to keep things private.

The creator of TiddlyWiki has fun things to say about serverless, from 2016:

Good old TiddlyWiki :slight_smile:. I used mGSD, formerly MonkeyGTD (now all abandonware but still accessible through the Web Archive), based on TiddlyWiki, as my personal task manager for a few years. Almost a decade ago now. Just checking my Dropbox… yes, everything I wanted to do in 2011 is still there :joy:

It was good, but a bit obscure. Can’t remember what made me move on to something else, maybe the lack of a good mobile experience.

I had no idea TiddlyWiki was still going!

1 Like

Yep, mobile is a huge driver. The other one being collaboration. For both, you need some form of API, which typically means servers.