#helder-monologue

Great open source app for netbatching on macos :wink: Toggles /etc/hosts to an (allow|block)list set to a timer, and apparently in a way that’s hard to undo before the timer’s off (I haven’t tried). I set the allowlist to just “localhost” when I need some peace.

https://selfcontrolapp.com/

1 Like

redwoodjs by github cofounder @mojombo “brings fullstack to the jamstack” and has built-in ethereum auth and other providers (netlify, etc.). it seems to be getting traction both with web2 (serverless) and web3 developers. there’s an api to add auth providers.

1. Teaching is the most impactful aspect of tool building.
When building a tool, it’s easy to forget how much you’ve internalized: how much knowledge and context you’ve assumed. Your tool can feel familiar or even obvious to you while being utterly foreign to everyone else. If your goal is for other people to use the darn thing — meaning you’re not just building for yourself, or tinkering for its own sake (which are totally valid reasons) — you gotta help people use it! It doesn’t matter what’s possible or what you intended; all that matters is whether people actually succeed in practice.

To maximize your impact, then, teaching must be central to your strategy. This means documentation, tutorials, examples, videos, tweets, and more. Teaching one-on-one or in workshops is a great way to force your internalized knowledge to the surface, to find common ground with your audience, to be inspired by their work, and to learn how to teach more effectively (see #2), but a library of material that teaches without requiring your time is the only way to scale as your audience grows. You need the pedagogical equivalent of passive income, if you will. A one-day workshop can help a hundred people; a tutorial can help tens of thousands or more. I’m frequently inspired by (and occasionally envious of) the brilliant teaching styles of Rich Harris and Dan Abramov.

Of all forms of documentation, examples seem to be the most effective. I’ve long espoused the merits of examples, and both Observable and its predecessor bl.ocks.org aim to help people produce and consume examples to accelerate learning. Examples inspire by showing what’s possible; examples demonstrate specific techniques; and examples are building blocks which help people get started. Given how humans excel at pattern-matching and extrapolating from observation, it seems only natural that examples are the preferred form of learning material.

1 Like

i was super impacted by these comments on documentation, so important to create pathways for people to understand what’s going on

1 Like