Re-imagining IPFS browsing for Fission

This is a sample screenshot of https://pdfs.fission.app/, a quick app I created because I wanted to upload some PDFs and didn’t have my other “presentations” app creds handy locally.

The IPFS hashes go to a “CID inspector” … rather than opening the file.

On IPFSio, at least in “old” CIDs, clicking on the CID actually navigates to the file https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmR7GSQM93Cx5eAg6a6yRzNde1FQv7uL6X1o4k7zrJa3LX.

No Fission branding or indication that Fission is being browsed.

Title of page shows /ipns/pdfs.fission.app which is pretty cool – IPNS is being used automatically with a “real” DNS name.

I don’t have any concrete plans on this, but @justinjohnson some things to think about in context of hacking on go-ipfs and thinking about specs, and the recent IPFS implementors call, which is really asking “what is IPFS” and encouraging people to try different things. e.g.

For example, a better browser for WNFS public content.

Which is a good note to self, to get the video from the implementors call and slide links into an #events entry.

Hey Boris. Forgive me for not following. What code did you deploy? Some js-ipfs code that loads up an ipfs navigator for the deployed app’s root CID or something?

Hi @justinjohnson sorry for not fleshing it out more :wink:

The “app” was just publishing some PDFs. But it got me looking at our deployed go-ipfs and the default look and feel of “IPFS gateway directory browsing”.

What should this look like / what features should it have are the rest of my thoughts.

I’m thinking about what some other small PRs / explorations we can do with go-ipfs.

Ah, so you’re thinking about branding as it relates to reconsidering what exactly an IPFS implementation should provide, how it interacts with other products like webnative, etc… :+1:

I wrote up a placeholder issue … we should figure out exactly what we want to do here so we can set some actual actions: Re-imagine HTTP Gateway file browser · Issue #57 · fission-suite/go-ipfs · GitHub

I think something like:

1. Allow specifying a custom stylesheet (for “theming”)
  2. Maybe a WNFS-aware option to browse?
  3. Other?
1 Like