#rosano-monologue

It mainly exists when people don’t know about UTC at all and write strings to the database :stuck_out_tongue:

I read it, and I think I get what you’re talking about, but it is extremely app specific.

it is pretty specific, i wasn’t able to think of more than a few cases for it, i think it’s more likely to be useful in single-tenant apps

I’d say you’re losing valuable information when you strip the timezone information. But you’d also lose valuable information if you only stored UTC time and converted the time to the current timezone.

And I think this loss of information is what makes this so weird. If you store the time + timezone, you could show something like “8pm CET” and drop the CET if it matches your current timezone. Or you could store location and say “8pm in Berlin” etc.

If you strip that information, you’ll never be able to choose a different UX in the future.

i didn’t think about that, but i can see how it might be meaningful to present where something was recorded. i would rather record the location than rely on the zone.

I agree with location > time zone. Again, it’s more information :grimacing: (Are my software architecture principles showing already?)

a good follow up to ramsey nasser’s qalb explorations. here discussing topics like spiritual practices in technology, avoiding linear processes, representing programming concepts idiomatically for cree speakers…

https://esoteric.codes/blog/jon-corbett

Loops: are “pipona ” (pipona is the plural of pipon). Literally, translates as “winters”, there are also extensions or related looping lexical elements like “pipohki ” = next winter; “awasipipon ” = last winter; “mêsakwanipipon ” = every winter (this is my version of a foreach loop). The significance of winter is an old personal identity word and refers to one’s age. So I am currently 49 winters old, for example. And the reason it is “winter” and not another season is because back in the days before “housing”, if you survived winter it signified your resilience and survival of the most extreme of elements the Earth Mother has, and is a highly respected personal accomplishment. This was a fun one to figure out for me. And when I heard the story of “winter” it just naturally felt like a loop.

working on a video about the folder structure i use in all my projects and i stubbed a page on something that will either become a thesis or a t-shirt:

1 Like

a significant video on software testing

hot damn this api documentation is nice

https://api.buttondown.email/v1/schema#operation/Retrieve%20an%20existing%20subscriber

I use buttondown for my personal blog. I like it :slight_smile:

And we’re using the same documentation generator for API docs: ReDoc (It’s all swagger/openAPI I think).

oh wow! this is different from the webnative api?

Yeah. That’s our server that runs the username management, email, etc. stuff

i’m going to host an interintellect salon next week on working through social divisions:

https://interintellect.com/salon/building-bridges-and-healing-a-divided-world/

if anyone here has also spent time thinking about this topic and has tips, learning materials, good examples, please share with me :slight_smile:

1 Like

wrote a birthday reflection late today, fission is one of the things i’m grateful for that emerged in my life within the last year

1 Like

Rosano we’re glad to have met you as well! And I think you’re going to be well on your way to meeting half the team, soon.

Thank you for your collaboration and your energy and good spirits!

1 Like

Enjoying your recorded music while I start my day reading :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did a walkthrough at Tools For Thought Rocks of how I use my Zero Data apps to make things happen. There is some tangential discussion of interoperability and simplifying developing which might be of interest here:

if you use discord, i would love to know any of this:

a) how many servers are you active/non-active in?
b) if you added one or two more to either what would that do to your cognitive load?
c) what’s taxing about being active?

asking for myself, considering trying stuff there.

Active in 3? Non active in like 10. Could add more.

Notification settings are granular — you can set per server / per channel so I can be aware of channels i care about.

Being active: hanging out in a channel means more than responding. What am I posting in that server / why am I in there.

Responding means having time between other channels and mediums that info is coming in on. There’s a limit I have across ALL channels.

I recently was thinking about IRC style alert words. eg get a feed of every time a fission URL is posted, certain keywords etc

But that’s using Discord as discovery, not as social hang out.

My current biggest challenge is the splinter groups of interests.

1 Like

a) 3 active, (1 friend-group server, fission discord, incremental-elm discord), 8 inactive (some are huge so it’s impossible to follow/I only read announcements/occasionally drop in, some are small and I lurk around but pretty much never post)
b) I would pretty much mute more servers if I was in more active channels. Also I regularily sweep over all servers I’m in to get rid of muted servers I haven’t looked into in months.
c) Hum. Catching up? I don’t actually percieve it as taxing right now. It’s cool to connect with people who have great Ideas, or to talk about great ideas, or to get a laugh when someone shares a great meme :stuck_out_tongue: I think the point is not to be active for being active’s sake, but because it’s fun.

1 Like