The Great Switch: distributed work first

The last 20-25 years has really been about the rise of distributed systems. The next 20-25 years is going to be the rise of distributed work.
James Governor

Pointers to comments on hiring happening outside of Silicon Valley, about VC activity in Europe meaning that salaries are rising there.

The joke about every hiring conversation ending in: “must relocate to San Francisco” just isn’t true any more. These changes were set in place before the pandemic. Now they’re in stone. We’re not going back to the world’s elite software engineers all living in one city.

…all business sectors are now tech, software and service-driven. That’s a global phenomenon. As tech work becomes increasingly distributed, businesses globally also become increasingly digital.

how software people work and the tools they use increasingly become the norm for how people in other sectors work. The developer aesthetic is transferable. Slack is a good example, which started as a tool for software engineers, but is now used by everyone from digital agencies to law firms to automotive companies.

I mostly don’t want to use Slack anymore. Looking at developer tool adoption CAN be a useful signal on where new tools might be.

I think software development — because it is influenced by a large body of collaborative peer production that comes out of the open source movement — also sets the stage for networked organizations.

Yup, the place to be was Silicon Valley. It feels like now the place to be is the internet (which is everywhere). I expect this trend to only accelerate.
Brian Chesky

1 Like

In trying to create a company of great people that attracts other great people, I like the term “optionality” — as it is described in the post: “She can live where she wants.”