This app is "Run by a Human"

Buttondown lists “Run by a Human” as a feature:

RUN BY A HUMAN

Buttondown isn’t a team or a startup or a movement or whatever: it’s just me. I respond to every email personally and deeply care about the problems I’m trying to solve.

Clicking the feature leads to another page where creator introduces himself

Hi! I’m Justin. I run Buttondown.

Buttondown is indie newsletter software.

Buttondown is a passion project. I didn’t start it to "revolutionize” or “disrupt” the landscape – I wanted a better tool for my own newsletter, and then I wanted to share it with you.

There’s no customer success team or board of directors: just me, working on a project I love. Email asking for help onboarding? You’ll get a response from me. Have a bug report or a feature request? You’ll get a response from me.

Running this tool is probably the most fun I’ve had in my ten years of being a developer, and it’s something I want to take care of not just for the next ten years but the next fifty.

I try to be as transparent as possible with a lot of the ins and outs of running Buttondown. That’s why I publish all running costs and write weekly development notes. You know exactly what’s happening with the tool as I’m working on it.

Because I don’t have to worry too much about a profit motive, I can also do things like donate a percentage of all profits to the open source software that powers Buttondown.

3 Likes

I like Buttondown!

It’s the exact kind of thing that I wish had a non-commercial license / source available to make me more comfortable.

Love the donation to open source projects too.

This “Run by a human” I think is part of the concept of #micro-saas — more focused products run by much smaller teams or single individuals.

2 Likes

Buttondown is really cool. I use it for my blog :slight_smile:

2 Likes