Are there synonyms for 'self-hosted'?

I’m thinking of names for the kind of server app that lends itself well to the ‘one-click install via PaaS’.

Is there any term in common use other than ‘self-hosted’?

You might see where I’m going with this.

• self-hosted
  • private-hosted
  • home-hosted
  • personal-hosted
  • one-click self-host app
  • quick self-host app
1 Like

Self Hosted – especially if you look at like the Reddit of that name https://www.reddit.com/r/selfhosted/ – ends up meaning Raspberry Pis and servers under desks and installing Docker on your NAS. Never what I personally want.

Was interesting to read that thread on RS, thanks for sharing. Yeah, there is no “ready” here – it’s OSS and the type of people who WILL run their own copy, are mainly concerned about if they can get it up and running, and maybe if they have a backup option. WebRTC JUST came out of draft mode as an approved spec – after it’s been up and widely used for like… 5 years?

I have adding IPFS / Fission to Nextcloud on my list, too :stuck_out_tongue:

Heroku with an S3 (or compatible) backend is still the simplest / cheapest to effectively run. Digital Ocean – not one click install, but just being able to ssh in and document the commands – has local storage and backups. That’s how I run Discourse today, and they’ve put a ton of work into their whole Docker and update setup. But you can start a lot simpler with RS.

The issue being, if more than one person uses these hosts, then the server admin can browse all the files, can’t they?

But anyway, single admin pods is likely a good place to start.

Back to your question – “one click install via PaaS” or “deploy to X” is the main language. For a potential user (they’re not non technical, they’re at least a tinkerer like me) it’s “run your own, host your own”.

1 Like

re: the rs thread, i suppose that could be a goal for fission too eventually, one-click deploy the entire stack to x :stuck_out_tongue:

great suggestions, gave me some ideas, thank you.

Seconded. Would love to use Nextcloud without having to run a server.

Oh, unfortunately, this is the other way around.

There is a bunch of Nextcloud managed hosting out in the world.

But, Nextcloud also supports apps, and always has storage included. So my idea is to do a Nextcloud <–> Fission integration. So that your existing Nextcloud managed hosting can also expose data over IPFS, and back up your WNFS root and app roots.

(I also want to see if we actually move Fission’s business services to one of these.)

Oh, I see. Yep, that would be nice integration! :100:

but on the other hand, if fission wants to do app hosting with ‘server-side’ features, you might eventually become that kind of destination right?

No, this is about specs and standards. Anything written with the webnative SDK can then use different IPFS pinning / hosting services in different combinations.

It’s more valuable to have all data on a common substrate, rather than Nextcloud to go figure out a more centralized model of app hosting.

“Server side” features can mostly be mixed and matched today already. e.g. you can plug Plausible Analytics into a Fission app. What our platform supports over time will be driven by convenience, and value of the developer and user experience for having something designed to be integrated and work together.

e.g. we’re likely to do more with WebAssembly over time, and precisely because there really aren’t great WebAssembly experiences out there, that argues for something that is more integrated / offered by us directly.

We’ve been asked to include email / notifications as a platform feature, because that’s typically tricky to integrate. It’s also adjacent to DNS – so if we already host / automate DNS, it would be easier for us to provide an integrated experience around email and setting up DNS related email settings.

i guess it would make the scope too large.

you mean plug via the standard javascript tag on a page? i guess my question was about if using ipfs eventually introduces a different paradigm for what is known today as “server-side”. is ipfs just for storing static files then and we will essentially continue using todays tech for dynamic sites? the only alternative i’m aware of is cloudflare’s “workers”, which i would paraphrase as “serverless functions at the edge with data that somehow syncronizes globally”.

We think that with WebAssembly among other bits and pieces, that yes, we can get to more p2p and distributed computing over time. Cloudflare and Fastly both are investing heavily in WebAssembly at the “edge”.

Our approach to edge starts offline and on the client – can’t get any more edge than that!