Talk notes with Dylan, building Cortex "Tools for Action"

I had a great intro call with Dylan, who is building Cortex.

We connected on Twitter, where he was looking at some of the discussion around OpenDoc.

FYI, Tweet author Geoffrey Litt is going to be presenting next week :slight_smile:

From the current Cortex home page:

Cortex is a workspace that contextualizes and sorts all your thoughts and actions in one place.

It gives you a language to query data using natural language, connect apps using Zapier-like logic, and helps you stay on task without losing flow state

You can view linked references, definitions, and highlights from all across the web, all without leaving their current webpage

โ€œeg. If Iโ€™m writing a tweet and I want to pull up notes from another app on the same subject, Cortex automatically loads that context directly in the app(Twitter)โ€

Workflow activity is stored as trails , a graph structure to help represent:

How ideas/learning grows over time

How one effort translates to the next

How search queries evolve over time

Annotate using rich text directly on documents and trails as you explore

We call it a tool for action

Dylan will be giving a talk/demo on March 4th about his work.

Links / concepts we discussed

Fission believes that we are at โ€œpeak lego cloud toolsโ€ โ€“ point solutions that need to be manually selected, integrated, and learned about one by one. With Fission, weโ€™re looking to vertically integrate a number of pieces that are needed for app building, while keeping them open source, portable, and able to be federated. We have a couple of good articles by redmonk that covers these topics.

solid-protocol came up. Presentation this week: ItMe and SOLID Protocol, Travis Vachon

tiddlywiki is a tool where users can quickly learn basic programming directly within the tool and customize it to their needs, as well as share this programming with others. Lots to learn from its 15 year history. Follow TiddlyWiki for the work that Fission is going to be doing with this community.

Talking about open source Roam Clones, like LogSeq, Athens Research.

Tweetstorm version of Athens Research open source take on charging money:

https://twitter.com/AthensResearch/status/1287453537530712065?s=20

Full post:

(I have a draft blog post on this that I need to finish)

They are using Open Collective Athens Research - Open Collective โ€“ Fission is using it for a number of projects, and is a Fiscal host Fission - Open Collective โ€“ so you can apply to be hosted by us directly.

We talked about open source and licensing and some of the evolving thinking around this. I in particular am very interested in non-commercial licenses.

For selling to enterprise, can one index knowledge as a service? Classic post on this by Algolia https://bmannconsulting.com/algolia-electron-internal/

Extremely long video chat with Kyle Mitchell on this Indie Devs, Licensing, and more: a Fireside Chat with Kyle Mitchell

Prosperity Non-Commercial License

4 Likes